Growth of Our Congregation

 

   Dominican Sisters of Maitland 1867 - 1930

 

Our eight Sisters arrived from Dun Laoghaire Ireland on 10th September 1867.

  • Sr M. Agnes Bourke, prioress, aged 42, professed 1850
  • Sr M. Teresa Molloy, subprioress, aged 35, professed 1853
  • Sr M. Regis Dowley, aged 32, professed 1854
  • Sr M. Hyacinth Donnellan, aged 25, professed 1860
  • Sr M. Ignatius Finnegan, aged 28, professed 1860
  • Sr M. Augustine Fagan, aged 26, professed 1862
  • Sr M. Brigid O’Brien, lay sister, aged 28, professed 1866
  • Sr M. Bernard Larkin, lay sister, aged 23, professed 1867

 

 

A trunk used by the Sisters in 1867

 They began work a few days later, and were able to make new foundations

  • In Newcastle in 1873
  • In Tamworth in 1876
  • In Waratah, Newcastle, in 1888
  • In Moss Vale in 1891
  • In Strathfield, Sydney, in 1894
  • In Mayfield, Newcastle, 1917
  • In Camberwell, Melbourne, 1926

 

 

 Maitland Sisters taken about 1890

 

Dominican Sisters of NSW 1930 - 1958

Prioresses of Dominican Sisters of New South Wales

1930-1942

Sr M. Gonsalvo Byrne

1942-1953

Sr M. Concepta O’Donoghue

1954-1958

Sr M. Philomena Waite

Delegates to first General Chapter, Dominican Sisters of NSW, 1929.

 

               Dominican Sisters of Holy Name Province 1958 - 1988

Mother Margaret Mary Lyons, Hobart, Tasmania

 

Prioresses

 1958-1962

 Sr Margaret Mary Lyons

 1963-1969

 Sr M. Regina Daly

 1969-1977

 Sr M. Bertrand Egan

 1977-1985

 Sr Margaret Gannon

 1985-1989

 Sr Margaret Cameron

  

           Dominican Sisters of Eastern Australia

           and the Solomon Islands 1988 -

The Governance structure was changed in 1988 and the Congregation became known as Dominican Sisters of Eastern Australia and the Solomon Islands.

 

Prioresses

1989-1993

Sr Margaret Cameron

1993- 1997

Sr Mary Britt

1997- 2001

Sr Kathleen Maher

2001 -2009

Sr Rosemary Lewins

2009 -

Sr Judith Lawson

Current Leadership Team

Current and former Prioresses and Vicaresses